The Need for Internet Speed!
It is now completely normal for both business and home users to expect the fastest internet speeds available for a bargain price. But where did this need for speed come from? And when will it stop?
The truth is, we just don’t know. As businesses develop and the internet becomes the basis for most business solutions, such as cloud-based storage and file sharing, VoIP phones and remote worker access, the demand for speedy and efficient broadband increases. If you can’t get superfast fibre… you want to know why not!
When looking at average UK broadband speeds over the last few years, you can clearly see the rate of increase and we will only come to expect even more, even sooner, both at home and in our businesses!
If you look at the following stats it shows how quickly the internet has progressed and why we have quickly taken for granted instant download speeds and instant click access to everything.
- Today it is estimated that 39% of the world’s population (that’s of the entire world) uses the internet compared to just 12% 10 years ago. That’s a lot of people.
- The average daily internet use was apparently 46 minutes a day in 2002 increasing to an estimated 4 hours per day in 2012. A more recent report claims that we are now so dependent on technology that the average adult spends up to eight hours, 41 minutes using media or communications. This is more than they spend sleeping (eight hours, 21 minutes).
- The total number of websites in 2002 was 3 million. Today it’s a mind-boggling 644 million and counting.
- In the early ‘noughties’ you were looking at up to 12½ minutes to download a song on a 56k modem, now it takes between 20 and 30 seconds.
- 10 years ago you were looking at 16 seconds to load a page, which may not seem slow until you time it. Now you get spoilt with an average click-to-page-wait of just 2½ seconds!
So, as our need for speed becomes the norm and our business services become instantly accessible – plus products and services available to purchase in a click – it’s worth reflecting for a few moments on the incredible developments technology has made in such a short space of time!