Less than 100 days to GDPR – Are you ready?
With less than 100 days until the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) officially comes into play, is time to ask yourself, are you prepared?
With just 96 days to go, the GDPR countdown prompts all of us to ensure we’re doing all we can in order to protect the privacy of our data. There have been many high-profile data breaches of 2017, all of which have demonstrated how vulnerable your company and its data really is. Many businesses are struggling with understanding aspects of the journey towards GDPR readiness, having a roadmap and the right partner to assist with compliance. Failure to comply with the regulation will mean that the ICO can enforce fines of up to 20 million Euros or 4% of group worldwide turnover (whichever is greater) against both data controllers and data processors. It is important to us to start understanding what is required to avoid the potential financial and reputational damage of a breach.
Take some time to assess your progress and see if you are on track:
- Review your relationships with your suppliers. Are they protecting the data that you are asking them to process? How will they notify you if they suffer a breach?
- Sort through existing databases and consider how you will use and store this your data going forward.
- GDPR expects businesses to understand where data is being used and transmitted as well as where it’s stored; evaluate how well you have mapped your data flows.
- Understand whether you need to appoint a Data Protection Officer.
- If a data breach does happen, you will need to respond, and recover, to a breach within tight time constraints.
Preparing for GDPR may sound complex, but there are certain ways you can tailor your security approach to help towards compliance; download our ‘Key tools to aid compliance’ handout here.